Friday, March 1, 2013

Dialog

I was sitting on a bench in the park one day I overheard two young people...

"Hello" the young man said to the woman playing with her dog. "Hello" she kindly answered. "

Lovely day today isn't it?" he said with a grin. The young woman answered back, "Yes, it really

is. I wish there were more days like today". The young man sat down and motioned for her to do

the same next to him. She smiled meekly and sat down. "For a beautiful woman such as

yourself" he held out a flower for her that he had just picked out of the ground". "Thank you kind

sir" She said accepting the flower and putting it in her hair. "I've missed you so much you know"

she said with a sigh and leaned onto his shoulder. "I know" he said with sadness in his eyes.

"Why can we just be together? It just doesn't seem fair." He turned to her, gently holding her

chin with his hand and kissed her. "I love you" he said smiling. "We can't be together right now

but I promise you that when I come back I'll be all yours, and we can start a family maybe." The

young woman looked up at him and gazed into his eyes. "I'll wait for you, no matter how long it

takes." " It won't be too long my dear, time will pass and before you know it I'll be back in your

arms and we can be together, happy, for as long as we live." The young man then stood up,

helping her up as he did, hugged her tightly and walked away. After watching him leave for a

minute or two she shouted "I love you!" with tears running down her face. She sat down and

started petting her dog as she watched the young man until she could see him no longer.

I was very moved by what I had just seen, and as I sat on that park bench I started to wonder

about what their story could have been.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! There's such mystery here. This couple is definitely playful. One gets the sense that they often talk to one another as strangers ("kind sir"). Of course, that gives way, and we soon learn they aren't strangers at all. However, we don't know the nature of the relationship or why they aren't currently together. The reader knows he is going some place and plans to return.

    ReplyDelete