Monday, April 29, 2013

"Grandpa" Willy

Son, your 12 now and I think it's time I told you about my dad because I think your at the age where you'd understand a little better. I know I've talked about him before but I didn't tell you about a few things. I didn't tell you that grandpa Willy was a very tired man after his many years of a salesman and because he was so tired he started acting really strange. I noticed he was acting strange when your uncle Happy and I moved back home after living out in the world for a while. Grandma Linda was trying very hard to keep grandpa Willy happy and she loved him very much, as did your uncle and I, but we didn't treat him very well when we should have been helping him. Grandpa Willy was pretty old when he started acting funny and we got into a lot of arguments about how I was living my life. I see now what he was trying to do for me and I respect him for that. He taught me many things and I will tell you one of them is to always love your family and take care of each other, we may not always get a long but know that I love you very much son and no matter what I just want the best for you, even if sometimes it doesn't seem like it to you. I love you son, and I'm very proud of you and always will be. I just wish my father had told me that more often.

3 comments:

  1. i like how you gave the child an age i forgot that on mine. i liked how you still gave willy a good rap at the end and ended the diary with a good note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bittersweet sort of feeling this monologue evokes. Particularly at the end, where it says, "I just wish my father had told me that more often."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's useful that you point out how all children often gain perspective as adults. They realize that the actions of their parents were usually meant in their best interest.

    ReplyDelete